Forum » About GamesTV » GamesTV Coverage » Compromised user accounts

nl arni
Compromised user accounts on 22.12.09 00:10
It has come to our attention that in the recent past several gtv user accounts have been "hacked". While i wouldn't call weak passwords or abusing known security issues hacking but scriptkiddying it seems to become a problem.

Looking at the account it becomes apparent that all compromised accounts use a microsoft hosted email address (hotmail or live)

We must assume that there is a security issue related with these accounts allowing the attacker access to the email account. Through "lost password" functions the attacker can then gain access to accounts registered with this email, such as gtv.

As a direct consequence the "request password" feature has been disabled for accounts using an email address from the services named above.

Additionally i strongy advise users of these email services to find a different host for their email and remove any important information from the account.

I want to emphasise that these accounts were NOT compromised through a security leak in gtv itself, but were taken over through a compromised email account.

take care,
arni
be Snake
I hardly doubt hotmail is hackable these days, I'm sure it is but it won't fit well with scriptkiddies. As they mostly don't know any knowledge apart from pushing the buttons from a random hacking program.

I guess they downloaded or recieved a keylogger, meaning not only a gtv account isn't safe, but any other account (cf, related emails, etc...).

It would look silly if there was a leak in gtv, as they just took some random users. Personally I would hit for an admin account if I would hack something. Just simple logics.

Oh well, scriptkiddies, lets burn them down! :O)
de skooli
Quote by SnakePersonally I would hit for an admin account if I would hack something.

We're watching you
be Snake
Quote by skooli
Quote by SnakePersonally I would hit for an admin account if I would hack something.

We're watching you

LoL! I was just stating a point, my dear skooli! ;) Don't look at me :O), I ain't even that attractive! :)
ee Popidiot
good job skate69
mt Killerboy
22.12.09 20:47, Last edited: 23.12.09 10:23
Quote by CAMELTOEgood job skate69

stfu man or he will hack your account with his 50€/month hack he bought.
h3ll deleted his own post (22.12.09 21:09)
ee Popidiot
Quote by KiL|3rBoY
Quote by CAMELTOEgood job skate69

stfu man our he will hack your account with his 50�/month hack he bought.

#care

its lifetime afaik.
ru ohurcool deleted this post of ru zerxpro (11.01.17 22:53)
This Thread is closed and cannot be commented on anymore.