Forum » About GamesTV » Ideas » Timezone shown on Match Buttons

1. 1
  2. 2
de hardico
Timezone shown on Match Buttons on 05.04.10 13:03
Every user here on gamestv knows that the time shown on the graphics of the match buttons stands for the GMT timezone as in the following example:

But if you publish this graphic in a forum where not everybody is familiar with gamestv.org it may come to confusion without explanation.
To solve this problem you can add "GMT" or another more perfect way is to create such a graphic for each timezone.
I know that this problem isn't a real big problem, but this site is near to be perfect. Therefor it is time now to be perfect everywhere :D

On the other hand it is the same with the date. To use 2010-04-01 (ISO) is better than 01.04.10. Please think about it to get the last percents for a 100% perfect gamestv.org
de cl4ym4n
This was already suggested a few times in the past and if i remember right, the only reason why it hasn't been added yet is, that there is not enough free space for 'GMT' between the date and 'gamestv.org'...^^

Regarding the date format... why should it be better? Cause it is ISO?
Changing it would just cause a lot of confusion IMO... especially when it comes to matchbuttons... 10-04-01 ... 1st. april 2010 or 10th april 2001?

The regular dd.mm.yyyy format is the most common worldwide... speaking for myself i think it's good as it is and doesn't really need to be changed.
gb msh100
Uhm, mm.dd.yyyy is used in America
de hardico
05.04.10 14:29, Last edited: 05.04.10 14:52
It is time now for a second line to get the space that is necessary :D
proposal: gamestv.org in one line above and date/time below the part in the middle

and the second point with the date format:
Don't get me wrong. When I am looking through my german glasses the current date format works fine. But if you use GMT for the time you should also use a date format that is valid world wide. Or you switch to CET/CEST instead of GMT and leave the date format unchanged to have the most common time and date format on gamestv.org :D
Please choose: world wide or most common
(and GMT is not most common! especially for Europe :P
look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Timezones2008.png)

PS: if you use the ISO format you have to use it in this way: yyyy-mm-dd and not in this way yy-mm-dd.
de cl4ym4n
Quote by hardico(and GMT is not most common! especially for Europe :P

Don't mix up time zone and date format...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date#List_of_the_world_locations_by_date_format_in_use
de hardico
With "GMT is not most common" I mean that many more people are living in the timezone CET/CEST for example than in the GMT timezone. And the same here at gametv.org. The usage of CET/CEST should be ten times higher than of GMT I guess.
de ng
is it possible to set an alternative text (when you hover over the match button) that tells you every time is in GMT?
de cl4ym4n
Quote by ngis it possible to set an alternative text (when you hover over the match button) that tells you every time is in GMT?

That's what the alt/title-attributes in html actually are for, however this wouldn't work with ordinary [img*] bbcode, so this would be just a 50% solution...

What about something like this?

de hardico
You are on the right way! And with a ET logo. Great! The way it's meant to be published. :)
mt Killerboy
dd.mm.yy

90% of the world use it, except usa cos they want to be special in everything
ca Brisk
Very sexy cl4ym4n, I love that design. :)
nl h3ll
Same :)
de ng
i like it very much. you are a photoshop pro cl4ym4n!
se Bitmap.se
Quote by Killerboydd.mm.yy

90% of the world use it, except usa cos they want to be special in everything

Unsupported claims ftw.

A lot of countries use multiple formats, and the problem (even if you ignore North American backwards conventions) is that dd.mm.yy is ambiguous and easily confused with yy.mm.dd.

(Not a big problem in this context, but dd.mm.yyyy is still better.)

But match buttons are only interesting for a very brief period of time so why not skip the year entirely and use dd/mm (or dd/Mmm) since space is a factor?
se Bitmap.se
Quote by cl4ym4n

Looks nice, but if timezone is printed then CET or CEST (depending on the event date) would be even better for a majority of the visitors. :)
de ng
something likes this would work then:

Quote[Game] 1st line: 19:30 GMT - 20:30 CET (or CEST if daylight saving is in effect)
[Logo] 2nd line: 01.04.2010 - GAMESTV.ORG
nl arni
we can change the button, but we wont create more than one version, so it'll stay GMT for all

in the example above in dont really like the game logo in the orange box

afaik to avoid ambiguous dates the following is widely accepted:

dd.mm.yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy
de cl4ym4n

de hardico
09.04.10 19:25, Last edited: 09.04.10 19:34
I like the first version very much :) , but be careful. April is a month with only 5 letters. You should use the short form: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Nov, Dec
Another way maybe:
GamesTV.org 19:30 GMT
01.Apr.2010 21.30 CEST

The versions with the "-" between the timezones look like a information about a duration and can confuse the people.

Without the ET-Logo the info about the name of the game is lost, but it looks better.
de cl4ym4n
09.04.10 19:45, Last edited: 09.04.10 20:20

But tbh... with both times in there this looks totally overloaded...

:D
  1. 1
  2. 2
This Thread is closed and cannot be commented on anymore.