Forum » Smalltalk » Lets talk about ... » Foreign languages - should we care?

This Thread is closed and cannot be commented on anymore.
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
nl arni
Quote by Dewui'd like to see the class filtering the language :) what about mistypings? what about multilanguage posts? what about server resources (such function would require serious extra memory and cpu)? :)

i was looking into http://pear.php.net/package/Text_LanguageDetect/ which is fairly reliable and/or the google ajax language tools api

- cpu doesnt matter, we have enough, memory will only be used while the class is loaded and even then its not that much
pl edik
01.09.09 10:54, Last edited: 01.09.09 11:10
Imo it would be nice having 2 buttons while posting [ENGLISH/OTHER] and then having a filter with: show EN only/OTHER only/BOTH

it would be a bit confusing at the beginning and OTHER language button should be default (because 90% ppl wouldn't notice/bother clicking it anyway)
mt Killerboy
"I would like for gtv to make sure all users compose their comments in english, if someone has something to say, then everybody should be able to read it"
us rise
no, we don't need a 2nd crossfire (aka overmoderation). who the fuck cares. just skip it, if it's written in dutch/german and you can't read it, you are probably not meant to understand it.
nl saKen
"I prefer gtv not to care about the language people post in, i'll just skip over the pieces that i cant understand"
nl h3ll
"I prefer gtv not to care about the language people post in, i'll just skip over the pieces that i cant understand"

From what I see at cf atm, there is a language rule which gets applied by some admins, but it just doesnt work.. if you delete comments because of the languagerule they just post it again on purpose, acting lame etc, thats not something im looking forward to!

and about the filter: only if it works for a 100% ;x
de FaKy
"I prefer gtv not to care about the language people post in, i'll just skip over the pieces that i cant understand
de mUnduS
Quote by h3ll"I prefer gtv not to care about the language people post in, i'll just skip over the pieces that i cant understand"

From what I see at cf atm, there is a language rule which gets applied by some admins, but it just doesnt work.. if you delete comments because of the languagerule they just post it again on purpose, acting lame etc, thats not something im looking forward to!

and about the filter: only if it works for a 100% ;x

+1
pstarz-nemesis deleted his own post (02.10.09 19:08)
pl Rhand.

rise
05.09 01:38
no, we don't need a 2nd crossfire (aka overmoderation). who the fuck cares. just skip it, if it's written in dutch/german and you can't read it, you are probably not meant to understand it.

+1
ie reVEEe
"as manau kad visi turetume isversti visus sakynius i anglu kalba "
gb h3ll deleted this post of gb msh100 (11.10.09 14:47)
nl h3ll deleted this post of nl arni (11.10.09 14:47)
nl h3ll deleted this post of nl arni (11.10.09 14:47)
de h3ll deleted this post of de cl4ym4n (11.10.09 14:47)
nl h3ll
Lets keep this serious. thnx. Or actually, think we know enough ^^
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
This Thread is closed and cannot be commented on anymore.