Forum » Smalltalk » Lets talk about ... » Foreign languages - should we care?

This Thread is closed and cannot be commented on anymore.
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
nl arni
Foreign languages - should we care? on 22.08.09 02:16
Part of the gamestv posting rules ask for: "Acceptable correct use of the English language." - yes that's right - not only cf but also gtv has a general policy that only allows posts written in english.

Although we have had that rule forever, we've never really done anything about people posting in foreign languages (mainly Polish, German and Dutch) because we don't want to make such a big fuzz about it when people write in their own language (mainly on matches concerning only one nation anyways)

But a big "polish spree" posted yesterday got us thinking again - wouldn't it be better for everyone if everybody would simply keep his comments in english?

Tell us what you think, either:

"I prefer gtv not to care about the language people post in, i'll just skip over the pieces that i cant understand"

OR

"I would like for gtv to make sure all users compose their comments in english, if someone has something to say, then everybody should be able to read it"

let the flame begin ;-)
gb Seanza
As an English speaker, I'd prefer all comments to be in English so I can read them all. But that's just down to me being ill-educated and not knowing the language.

It's fair for people to speak their own language on the site I suppose. So I'm going with:

"I prefer gtv not to care about the language people post in, i'll just skip over the pieces that i cant understand"
de cl4ym4n
ca Brisk
cz ResP
"I would like for gtv to make sure all users compose their comments in english, if someone has something to say, then everybody should be able to read it"
de sHiZo

It's not like that I need to understand/read everything, care.
de ng
de skooli
I'm undecided, you mentioned that most of the foreign language spam is on matches in which both teams are from that nation.

So I'd try to enforce english in "international" matches / news posts / forums etc., but allow (for example) polish ppl to spam matches in their own language where 2 polish teams play.
nl 4drenalin3
de DeVito

but I also agree to skoolis idea.
de w0nd3r
So I'd try to enforce english in "international" matches / news posts / forums etc., but allow (for example) polish ppl to spam matches in their own language where 2 polish teams play.

otherwise:

every other single text here on gtv is also written in english. users should also
us Gero

since 2 of the foreign languages are dutch and german, which i'm both able to understand =)

+ i don't care about matches between 2 polish teams, lolo
in eshan

+1 skooli
nl arni
what about the following:

we do not care about the language people post in, but we detect if its english or not and make it possible to hide non-english comments?
us Gero
Quote by arniwhat about the following:

we do not care about the language people post in, but we detect if its english or not and make it possible to hide non-english comments?

what about make a foreign language FILTER? ^^

so you can tick and untick which languages you want it to filter :D

(isn't this quite easy to implement with some dictionary or so? :p)
in eshan
Quote by Gero
Quote by arniwhat about the following:

what about make a foreign language FILTER? ^^

so you can tick and untick which languages you want it to filter :D

(isn't this quite easy to implement with some dictionary or so? :p)

u said the same thing wat arni said but in a different way :P

+1 arni
us Gero
Quote by (EShAn)u said the same thing wat arni said but in a different way :P

+1 arni

arni just wants to filter out all the other comments then english,
my proposal is that you can tick which languages you want to hide and which not =) (yes there are people who understand other languages then english and their mother language...)

small difference =)
gb Jere
de ng
+1 at arni
ee Popidiot
we should not care
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
This Thread is closed and cannot be commented on anymore.